science and education
Malá Hora 5, Martin
1923 – 1926
Today a secondary medical school, the building of the original Stefanik Institute stands on a hill above the town. It is built on a symmetric triple-axis layout with suppressed side wings. The main access route from the town centre leads through a monumental stone exterior staircase, following to the building through a park-like garden. The entrance itself is lined with a portico over which is a balcony with a balustrade and a pair of sculptures. The rear entrance to the building is integrated within the main double-flight staircase which is located on the main axis and slightly projects from the main wing. The facade of the building is smooth, well structured by horizontal bands at the height of the window openings. Balanced monumental expression of the building corresponds to the official architectural line of the first Czechoslovak Republic.
DULLA, Matúš – MORAVČÍKOVÁ, Henrieta: Architektúra Slovenska v 20. storočí. Bratislava, Slovart 2002. 512 s., tu s. 330.
End of content