Špitálska 42, Bratislava
This building with signs of cubism in its architectural elements, well known by its two lion sculptures by the entrance by a Czech sculptor Augustin Paukert, was designed by a Czech-heritage architect Frantisek Krupka. From his studies at professor Ohmann's in Vienna he brought an ability to design a contemporary work based on baroque principles.The ability which came to a full fruition in the example of this police headquarters. This extensive piece of work is rooted in a classical symmetry composition, with links to monarchist viennese tradition. Similar to a student residence in the same block, the architect focused on plasticity of architectural elements (the ledge, the attic, etc.), with a remote resemblance to rondocubist inspirations. The result is a solid conservative architecture, attracting however fairly little attention in the innovative 20th century.
FOLTYN, Ladislav: Slovenská architektúra česká avantgarda 1918 – 1939. Bratislava SAS 1993. 238 s., tu s. 51 a 53.
DULLA, Matúš – MORAVČÍKOVÁ, Henrieta: Architektúra Slovenska v 20. storočí. Bratislava, Slovart 2002. 512 s., tu s. 74, 327.