Hungarian thread factory
Páričkova - Svätoplukova, Bratislava
David Valentin Junk
Pittel & Brausewetter
1900 – 1919 (dostavby v druhej polovici 20. storočia)
The Hungarian thread factory, later known mainly as the International Women's Day Factory - Plant 01, was founded by the Austrian firm of Salcher & Richter and the Scottish company J. & P. Coats. They both belonged to established factory families in the field of large-scale textile production. The preserved project documentation from 1900, drawn up by the firm of David Valentin Junko, illustrates the building of the spinning mill, engine house, dyeing house and boiler house, which were built in the first phase of construction. Out of these, the spinning mill, with the attached engine house and the boiler house chimney, were monumental industrial buildings with stair towers with tanks capped by battlements, decoratively conceived anchoring elements with the initials of the owners "SR," or a decorative plinth and capping of the chimney. All these elements pointed to an architecture that was strongly inspired by the historicizing tendencies prevailing in the architecture of that period. The structural system of the buildings consisted of cast-iron columns and steel trusses supporting brick arches.
In the second stage of construction, from 1909 onwards, the influence of the Pittel+Brausewetter construction company already became evident - the extension of the spinning mill from this period consists of a reinforced concrete ceiling supported by cast-iron columns. The company also built the coil house, which with its supporting system was a structurally modern building, but was hidden behind a historicizing facade. Further expansion of the factory took place after nationalisation in the 1950s and 1960s, when a dormitory with an apprentice school, a canteen and a new dye house were added. The most distinctive building from this period was the modern reinforced concrete multi-level building, which was directly attached to the main spinning mill. The facade of the two buildings was unified and the original spinning mill lost its historic character. The completion of the factory was also carried out in the 1980s and 1990s. Today, only the spinning mill, which has been restored to its original form, is a national cultural heritage site. The other buildings, except for the engine room and the dormitory, have been demolished. In 2020, the restoration of the spinning mill and powerhouse into commercial premises was completed by Bouda Masár architects. Today, it forms an iconic landmark of the new district.
ŠAB, Statuten der Bratislavaer Zwirnfabrik Aktiengeselllschaft in Bratislava. Škatuľa č. 17.
AMB, Bauprojekt und Consenspläne zur Erbauung einer Textilfabrik der Firma Salcher & Richter in Pressburg, 1900. Škatuľa č. 414.
SVÄTENÍKOVÁ, Marta: 65 rokov výroby nití v Bratislave. Bratislava, Závody MDŽ n.p, 1967, s. 7.
AMB, Miestopis Bratislavskej cvernovej továrne úč. spol. v Bratislave. 28.8.1934. Škatuľa č. 413.
AMB, Situačný plán Bratislavskej cvernovej továrne úč. spol. Bratislava, 20.8.1919. Škatuľa č. 413.
AMB, Bauprojekt und Consenspläne zur Erbauung einer Textilfabrik der Firma Salcher & Richter in Pressburg. 1900. Škatuľa č. 414.
CSINO, Viliam - MISTRÍK, Martin: Cvernovka. Bratislava, Open Design Studio 2014.
HALLON, Ľudovít: Firma Pittel a Brausewetter v dejinách Slovenska: priekopník betónového staviteľstva z Bratislavy. Bratislava, Typoset Print 2014.